- Great dynamic core workout – The ZUMBA® program uses moves throughout the class that require a great deal of control of the midsection of the body (abs and back). This has the potential to translate into a tighter more defined torso (stronger abs and back).
- High caloric expenditure – The ZUMBA® program follow aerobic and interval training methods to incorporate high levels of activity, which translates to high levels of activity, which translates to high caloric expenditure. Note: This varies from individual to individual, depending on variables, such as: fitness level, participant’s familiarity of routine, intensity level, etc.
- Easy, non-intimidating learning environment – New dance steps are presented in an easy-to-follow, exhilarating and party-like format.
- Weight loss – As with any exercise program, consistency and a sensible, well-balanced nutrition program will increase the likelihood of weight loss.
- Positive self-image – Nurtures a high level of “feeling good.”
- A sculpted body – ZUMBA® classes will potentially reshape all parts of your body, including your upper body, lower body, mid-section, heart, and mind.
- Exercise in disguise – A ZUMBA® class is a GREAT SWEAT! Most people say they are having a blast and don’t even realize they are exercising.
Wear what you are comfortable in. We suggest comfortable clothing appropriate for exercise that allows freedom of movement and preferably fabrics that wick the moisture away from your body (e.g., coolmax or dri-fit).. Your clothing should allow easy movement, and not restrict you in any way. Shoes are a very important thing to consider. You may find that running shoes or cross trainers may have too much tread to allow for side-to-side movement. We recommend shoes that have light tread (this allows for ease of pivotal/rotational movements). Dance sneakers, Cross-Trainers and Aerobics-specific shoes are great (check out manufacturers such as Bloch, Capezio, Frontline, New Balance, Ryka, Avia, and Nike). We do not recommend bare feet or sock-feet for class due to lack of support and safety concerns! We also recommend you bring a towel and water to class.
Don’t worry, you don’t have to be a professional dancer to ZUMBA®. The steps are very easy to follow and once you see the basic moves for each rhythm, which repeat often, you’ll catch on. In ZUMBA® we combine these steps with basic fitness or aerobics moves so it’s not complicated choreography. The routines are designed so you can get a good workout even if it is your very first ZUMBA® class. Remember, ZUMBA® was created so that anyone and everyone can do it!
It’s important to consult your physician or other healthcare professional before beginning or changing any fitness program to make sure that it is appropriate for your needs. Please let us know if you have an injury or condition that may cause some discomfort. The ZUMBA® steps can be modified for your safety. If you have not exercised in a long time, please see your doctor to obtain clearance to start classes. ZUMBA® can be intense, so go at your own pace and listen to your body! Take a break when you need one! You don’t have to keep up with everyone else your first class! Don’t overdo it, we want you to have fun and come back!
Nope! Every ZUMBA® instructor decides on their own playlist for their classes, so you can expect every ZUMBA® class will have different songs played throughout the work 0ut. Those instructors who are associated with the ZUMBA® Instructor Network (ZIN) receive new instructional DVD and music as material that can be used in the classes they teach.
An instructor can decide to use all, some or none of the songs from ZUMBA® corporate in that month’s playlist. Many ZUMBA® Instructors create their own choreography to songs using a special ZUMBA® Fitness formula to ensure the choreography that is created focuses on the benefits of the ZUMBA® work out.
The Pink Mat/Monica Vazquez is a member of the ZIN network. View Monica’s ZUMBA® profile.